Filtering Your Feeds using Postrank

Filtering information has always been important, but seems to be ever more important in the networked world we live in. I'm experiencing this too. In no time I subscribed to lots of interesting blogs. And I love the way this can be done using a feedreader and RSS technology. But what to do when you have(?) to sift through hundreds of posts a day? Is there a way to help you decide what to read and what not?

For this reason I thought I'd try Postrank (used to be AidRSS). And I must say it's been very helpful in several ways. Postrank ranks the feeds you get in your feedreader. It basically gives every post a number (1-10) telling you how popular a post is. This is nice. For me it doesn't imply I don't read post that have a lower rank. Sometimes these posts are even more interesting than popular ones!

But Postrank helps me filter posts from blogs with loads of posts-per-day. And it helps me filter my Google Alert RSS feed. Lately Google Alert is giving me way to many results. Now I only read the posts with a high rank and 'unread' the rest. (- is something wrong? It's been asked on Twitter many times by myself (@driessen) and Luis Suarez (@elsua) to name just two.)

I also like to see what rank is given to my own posts. I regularly go to my blogfeed and check what readers/you think of my posts. It gives me a good understanding of what my reader/you value!

For me a next step in filtering is moving over to FriendFeed. I have an account for some time now and enjoy going over to FF regularly, but haven't made the switch yet. Are others also experiencing this hesitance?

Tags van Technorati: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment