Productivity Tip: Who's Going to Read It and Act Upon it?

Just was rethinking the way I organize my work while reading the 'Productive Magazine'. (Great magazine, by the way!) As a knowledge worker I do lots of work because I think it's good for me and/or the company I work for. After finishing a memo, report, etc I go off and distribute it. Of course I hope others will read it, use it and make good decisions based on it's content.

I organize my work using the 'Getting things done' methodology. And it works great for me. In the Productivity magazine other methods tell us what GTD is lacking. I wasn't too convinced by their lists... But all of a sudden I did realize that I don't ask myself explicitly enough for every task: Who I am doing it for? Is someone really waiting for me to give them new insights and/or am I answering questions they have? This relates to what GTD calls 'desired result' of a task. I think I should focus on this more to hopefully become more productive than I already am (- at least I think I'm productive...).

I was wondering: in your work, do you think for every task, who's your audience and what is the desired result?

No comments:

Post a Comment