Semantic Proxy

It's been way to long ago. But I was invited to try SemanticProxy. ReadWriteWeb recently had a nice overview post on Semantic web applications and Calais was one of them. Calais is:

...a toolkit of products that enable users to incorporate semantic functionality within their blog, content management system, website or application.

Since launching the Open Calais API early this year, over 6,000 developers have registered with it and the service is doing more than 1 million transactions a day. We wrote about the launch of Calais' easiest-to-use service yet, called SemanticProxy, at the end of September. Version 3.0 was released earlier this month and version 4 is expected by January 09.

RWW verdict one year later: Calais has really blossomed over the past year and it is one of the most promising Semantic services around today. We can't wait to see what's next!

I finally had time to play around with SemanticProxy. I first tried the demo using the 'Knowledge Management' Wikipedia entry. The extraction of key phrases is impressive (also for the other entries I tried). It also categorizes the terms/phrases, distinguishing 'industry terms', 'technologies', etc. It didn't get the term in the 'organization' categorization right.

The demo is pretty limited (- it's beta, I know). I didn't go into the API stuff. But it's not hard to see this kind of smart functionality being useful in the near future. For instance, I'd love to use this semantic analysis to sifts through our internal document management systems, connect unconnected information together and build a network of information using tools like Semantic Proxy. I'm really curious if this will also work for the Web. Using this kind of technology inside the enterprise seems to be easier due to the limited data and term set.

Good luck, Semantic Proxy. I'll be following your steps and hope to experiment more internally with your tools as well. When I have results, I'll let you know.

Tags van Technorati: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment